Welcome! Whether you dream of becoming an audiobook narrator or already are one, you’ve found THE destination for audiobook narrators of all levels!
If you’re new to this career, every resource on this page answers the question “How can I become an audiobook narrator?” You’ll find invaluable advice from industry pros in the many articles, books, and other reference material that you will want to read and absorb. Success leaves tracks!
The sign posts in the site navigation above point to avenues of greater interest to experienced narrators. Some sections are free to all, while others are offered only to subscribers. You’ll find more information and even more links in the Welcome Center.
Tour Guide and Chief Cartographer
- Audiobook Narrator Self-Assessment Quiz — Karen Commins
- How to Become An Audiobook Narrator— Karen Commins
- Getting Started and Narrators Guide — Audio Publishers Association
- Two Cents — R. C. Bray
- How to Break Into Narration — Scott Brick
- 10 Skills You Need for Audiobook Narration + Voice Work — Marc Cashman
- How To Be An Audiobook Narrator (In Many Steps) — C. S. E. Cooney
- Step Up to the Mic/Become a Narrator — Erin deWard
- So you want to record Audiobooks — Marissa DuBois
- So You Want To Be A Narrator — Tanya Eby
- How to Become A Narrator — Robert Fass
- Breaking Into Audiobooks Part 1 and Part 2 — Rachel Fulginiti
- How to Become an Audiobook Narrator — Tavia Gilbert
- Audiobook Narration Tips That Don’t Suck — Johnny Heller
- Is Audiobok Narration Right for You? Part 1 and Part 2 — Tom Jordan
- Letter to Newcomers — Jeffrey Kafer
- How to Get Started Narrating Audiobooks — Steve Marvel
- Curious About Becoming a Narrator? Learn to Fish… — Ann Richardson
- Audiobooks — SAG/AFTRA
These articles provide information about working as a voice talent.
The first thing any prospective narrator should do is LISTEN to audiobooks. AudioFile Magazine is the premiere source of professional reviews of audiobooks in its magazine, newsletters, and podcast. The web site includes a talent and industry database which lists publisher information.
The Audio Publishers Association offers numerous benefits of membership including webinars, news updates about the industry, and an annual conference.
A listing of vetted audiobook coaches and consultants for both audiobook performance and business issues can be found in this spreadsheet.
Narrator Rich Miller hosts the informative and entertaining Audiobook Speakeasy podcast with guests from across the audiobook industry.
In his Audiobook Narration for Beginners podcast, narrator and host J. Rodney Turner shares tips and info he has learned on his path.
Subscribe to my Twitter lists to keep up with industry news in tweets from audiobook narrators, producers, publishers, and reviewers.
New narrators can create a narrator profile or submit demos on 2 sites listed below. However — and I cannot stress this point too much — you only have 1 chance to make a good first impression! In fact, this point is so important that I want to highlight this excellent advice from award-winning narrator Ann Richardson:
Make sure it is a positive one that reinforces your professionalism and expounds on the excellence you’re bringing to the table. If, however, it conveys you’re new, inexperienced, not prepared, it would behoove you to resist the urge. It has been my experience that people grow weary quickly of multiple bumbling attempts, insecurity, and demonstrated lack of proficiency. In addition, they’re not usually willing to let you learn and iron out the kinks on their project.
In all cases, you need to be sure your demos are competitive in both your performance and sound production. Also, follow the submission instructions EXACTLY.
- ACX.com Marketplace site with titles available for audition
- FindawayVoices.com Findaway may send you auditions
If you have a profile on ACX, you can join the Indie (ACX and Others) Audiobook Narrators and Producers Facebook group. Narrators of all experience levels are members of this active group, and it’s a great place to ask questions and learn from others. Check out the extensive group FAQ, which I created and maintain.
APA Webcast: What I Wish I Knew...
Ira Glass on The Gap
KC Johnston: Want to be an audiobook narrator? Well SLOW DOWN!!!!